My ideas

You have something to say about Wing Helper? Improvement ideas? New functionality requests? Here is the right place for that!
SekA_1448

My ideas

Post by SekA_1448 » Mon 13. May 2019, 09:49

Dear Sirs,
may I present you some of my suggestions.

1 - Plane definition: ability to display both or just 1/2 of the wing. This would improve zooming onto detail region of the wing

2- Spars Ailerons and Cutters: Ad option to cut in front of the spar. This would enable us to add additional flap / aileron ribs

3- Construction - Shipways: Enable option to level out rib bedding to uniform height for all wing panels.

3A- Enable option to level out wing combs to uniform height for all wing panels.(great template for wing assembly !!!) Thank you for wing combs.

4- 3D DXF - to edit design in 3D modelling software (Atodesk Inventor...)

5- Wing front view in DXF exported file: To easily design panel joiner elements made of wood. Cutout at desired wing spar position (in front or in the
back of the spar)

6- Ability to Move UP/Down wing spars (reorganisation in the view)

7- Ability to turn Visibility ON/OFF of each individual wing spar - this would enable better overview of the wing design

8- Darken all the edges of Winghelper elements for easier recognition. Elements would stand up better.

9- Maybe prepare separate window for each View Preset. Zooming and Panning is tedious sometimes. Specially when working on the wing underside.
(Something like you find in Rhino 3D software)

10 - support for 3D Connection Space mouse (that would be njami...)

11- Spars Ailerons and Cutters: If you choose to switch spar definition from % -> mm and have option Separate end selected than both spar distances should change to the same setting (% or mm). Now the other remains at previous setting. Not a big deal but one has to be carefull.

12- Option to Undo: at least at changing spar definition / type. At least for the last 3 actions. After doing so one looses all previous spar definition inputs.

13- Ability to define font size (height) before DXF export (add settings).

At the end I have to thank you for all the effort that you have put into developing this magnificient software. I like to use it a lot as you may find out on my FB page.

With best regards

Aleksander

alex.pozgaj

Re: My ideas

Post by alex.pozgaj » Sun 16. Jun 2019, 16:12

Hello Aleksander,

that's quite a list! :)

Thanks a lot for your suggestions! :) At the time being, I am concentrating on getting the work for the fuselage finally up and running. So far, I'm still a bit stuck in the design / workflow process, but I hope I'll be able to re-visit the main wing again soon.

Regarding your suggestions, here my comments:
1 - Plane definition: ability to display both or just 1/2 of the wing. This would improve zooming onto detail region of the wing
That can be done quite easily, I'll add it to the list.
2- Spars Ailerons and Cutters: Ad option to cut in front of the spar. This would enable us to add additional flap / aileron ribs
That would be quite tricky, I'm afraid, due to how WH works internally.
3- Construction - Shipways: Enable option to level out rib bedding to uniform height for all wing panels.
3A- Enable option to level out wing combs to uniform height for all wing panels.(great template for wing assembly !!!) Thank you for wing combs.
I already looked at it. However, the problem is, that this can only work *once*, until the user changes something else, which might result in unexpected behaviour. I still didn't give up on that, but I'm not overly optimistic
4- 3D DXF - to edit design in 3D modelling software (Atodesk Inventor...)
Honestly, I am happy that 2D is currently working - DXF is a TERRIBLE format. :) Did you take a look into SCAD export? From there, you can transform to STL, which in turn is quite nicely supported by 3D modelling software. Would that help?
5- Wing front view in DXF exported file: To easily design panel joiner elements made of wood. Cutout at desired wing spar position (in front or in the
back of the spar)
6- Ability to Move UP/Down wing spars (reorganisation in the view)
7- Ability to turn Visibility ON/OFF of each individual wing spar - this would enable better overview of the wing design
8- Darken all the edges of Winghelper elements for easier recognition. Elements would stand up better.
On the list. :)
9- Maybe prepare separate window for each View Preset. Zooming and Panning is tedious sometimes. Specially when working on the wing underside.
(Something like you find in Rhino 3D software)
That would call for a multi-window view support, which I currently don't have. I'll think about how I might add it.
10 - support for 3D Connection Space mouse (that would be njami...)
Yep, I also looked at that. Apart from the fact that I don't have a 3D mouse for testing purposes, it seems that they generally support only Windows. Especially under Linux, I was not able to find anything of use.
11- Spars Ailerons and Cutters: If you choose to switch spar definition from % -> mm and have option Separate end selected than both spar distances should change to the same setting (% or mm). Now the other remains at previous setting. Not a big deal but one has to be carefull.
I'm afraid that would be a change which would confuse quite a few people - especially these, who want to have the distances specified separately, one in %, one in mm.
12- Option to Undo: at least at changing spar definition / type. At least for the last 3 actions. After doing so one looses all previous spar definition inputs.
Due to the single worst design decision I made in Wing Helper, unfortunately, all my attempts in this direction failed. :(
13- Ability to define font size (height) before DXF export (add settings).
I can take a look into it!

Best regards,

alex.

P.S.: oh, you are "Seka" from that Orao post - sorry didn't recognize you. :)
Aleksandar Pozgaj
Wing Helper e.U.