Version 1.4.0 Beta 1 can read the files created with previous official versions. Due to a change in the file format, the older versions of Wing Helper will not be able to read files saved with 1.4.0 Beta 1 (or newer)! For that reason, we strongly suggest that you always store away your existing designs before working on them with a newer version. By doing so, you keep the option to step back to the previous Wing Helper version if you wish to or if a need arises.
1.4.0 introduces a great variety of exciting new features. In order to enable this, we had to re-work many program internals, changing quite a few of existing methods and algorithms. For that reason, please make sure to double-check your existing designs after moving to Wing Helper 1.4.0 Beta 1 (or newer) - it could be, that some settings will need a bit of fine-tuning.
Last but not least, here the list of the most important additions and changes implemented in this version:
- HOT: Generation of lightening holes in ribs
- HOT: Automatic generation of ailerons (new spar type "Aileron Cutter (simple)")
- HOT: Graphical Airfoil Designer and Manager
- HOT: 3D export in SCAD format (see OpenSCAD.org)
- HOT: ICE Export (G-Code for styrofoam cutting machines)
- Visibility control added to ribs and sheeting strips (context menu in the rib table)
- When changing the thickness of the last rib, its' position is now automatically adjusted
- Scaling of the background image in wingform editor can now also be done based on a measurement (context menu in the planform editor)
- Airfoil import: added option to smooth-out the nose portion of the airfoil
- Airfoil spanning implemented (Edit->Airfoil Spanning)
- Right-click now opens a spar resp. sheeting strip pop-up menu also if one doesn't click directly on an already existing spar or sheeting strip
- Option added to also include full, un-altered ribs in the DXF file (useful for "facing ribs")
- "Help -> About Wing Helper" now also presents the system information which can be included in error reports
- Building tabs: width is now separately adjustable for fore and aft tabs
- Building tabs: placement of the building tabs now also possible as percentage of the rib length
- Building tabs: now also with "holes", for easier removal
- Added an option to distribute ribs in a more flexible way (right-click on the rib in the rib table)
- 3D View can now be paned also by pressing the middle mouse button (wheel) or by simultaneously pressing left and right mouse buttons
- Additional option for the main wing view: Show Dihedral
- Improved spar output in DXF and PDF
- New option "Real Width" for some spars (important for strongly angled spars)
- New option "Flat" for rectangular spars
- New option "Separate End Height" for rectangular spars
- Countless further improvements, optimisations and bug fixes!
In parallel to the beta test phase, we will be working on preparing the documentation for the 1.4.0 functionality. In the next few days, we will also publish a video tutorial highlighting the most important changes.
This beta version is valid until 2018/01/07. At latest at that date, it will be replaced by either a new beta version, or by the official version 1.4.0, depending on the findings.
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Wing Helper e.U.